Espella Cantabella is a character from Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. During the events of the game, she is accused of witchcraft. Phoenix Wright has to defend her in the various Witch Trials of the game.
She has blonde hair and blue eyes. She wears a black and white dress, brown boots, and has a red cloak. Her hair is in two braids.
- Her name in Japanese is a pun on "魔法無" (Mahou mu), meaning "Without magic". This is an early indication that she is not actually a witch.
- Her name in English was derived from three separate Italian words.
- Espella is derived from the verb "espellere", meaning "to expel". It could also be a pun on the word spell, from magic spells.
- Canta is derived from "cantare", meaning "to sing".
- Bella is Italian for "beauty".
- It is also a reference to the name of Bezella, which as later revealed Espella believes possesses her and forces her to work sorcerous havoc.
- Her name in other languages seems to always be derived from a different language as well:
- Her German last name "Narrateur" is French for (Story)teller.
- Her Spanish last name "Fable" is French/English for a literary genre that denotes a fictitious story.
- Her French last name "Novella" is Italian/English for a short story that is shorter than a novel.
- Her Italian last name "Minstrel" is English for a medieval entertainer (bard). They were known for telling stories.
- Her Dutch last name is the same as in English (see above).